- The gold and silver trees in C.S. Lewis’s The Magician’s Nephew (1955).
- Clifford D. Simak, ‘The Money Tree’ (1958).
- Leaf currency on primordial Earth in Douglas Adams’s The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (1980).
- The money tree in Nalo Hopkinson’s ‘Money Tree’ (1997).
- Leaf currency on the planet Rain in Adam Roberts’s Stone (2002).
You can read more about leafy and other organic currencies at Economic Science Fiction and Fantasy.
The not-for-profit organisation Positive Money have used the recent chatter about magic money trees as a teachable moment. Money does grow on branches: bank branches. More here.